How to Wear Rudraksha First Time
Rudraksha needs to be blessed, purified and energized before they are worn.
Following checklist may be reviewed before starting the wearing procedure:
- Ensure that the mala or combination has the correct number of beads.
- Check that the beads are not used earlier by anyone and without any damage.
- Remember that it has to be taken off the body while drinking alcohol, eating non-vegetarian food, while having physical intimacy and going to a funeral (additionally for females during menstrual period). Do not feel guilty if this is not followed unintentionally. In that case, just re-purify the beads by washing in pure water and chanting Om Namah Shivaya five times.
- Ensure that you have paid fully for the beads or mala to the seller. It is observed that unless the commercial deals are completed in full, (except in cases where it is received as a gift).
- Rudraksha does not offer its full effects and gives negative feelings this leads to suspicions about its worth, stolen rudraksha should not be used at all.
- Rudraksha is not confined to any specific religion It is for the entire mankind the rituals are incidental and are to be followed willingly and with respect.
- Rudraksha does not cause any side effects hence suspicion about its effects may be misplaced. Do not over expect changes or magical effects to happen immediately, wearing rudraksha is not a short term activity It has to be worn for the entire life span.
- Always use new rudraksha and never use rudraksha worn by someone else. If you have received these as legacy or legitimately from near and dear ones, then first perform the purification ritual or abhishek and then wear them.
- Old Rudraksha should be specially checked for any damage of holes or cracks and if found these should not be used.
Follow this simple ritual prior to wearing a rudraksha:
- Choose an auspicious day or any Monday for blessings
- Wash or sprinkle rudraksha mala with Ganges water or pure water
- Apply sandalwood paste.
- Offer incense/dhoop.
- Offer any white flower.
- Touch the rudraksha on a Shivaling or Lord Shiva’s photo & chant Om Namah Shivaya for a minimum of 11 times.
Thereafter, the rudraksha can be worn or put at pooja place.
Pooja or blessings of rudraksha has been emphasized in all the epics which have highlighted the merits of rudraksha.
First time of wearing rudraksha and while regularly wearing it, it should be worshipped as procedures above and also by chanting the recommended mantras.
Shrimad Devibhagawat says that rudraksha should be worn without any expectations and with total devotion and happiness in doing so, one tends to obtain the knowledge of Shiva.
It says that the power of rudraksha is such that even if worn without reciting the mantras it will be beneficial.
In Shiva Purana, while giving the beej mantras says that "blessed are those who wear rudraksha chanting mantras" Even listening mantras gives good results.